This year, the Fun Food Feed will be sharing our most loved whole-plant recipes, we’ve developed over the years. Each month, we will publish a favorite recipe.
This month’s featured recipe is for Strawberry Fronana Sundaes.
Creamy dreamy frozen delight. Vanilla “cream” meets strawberry fronanas.
Cream Substitution: Short on time? Don’t own a high speed blender? Sub boxed plant-milk for fresh almond-oat-milk.
STRAWBERRY FRONANA SUNDAES
Preparation Time: 1 hour (includes chilling pudding)
Yield: 1-4 servings
Measuring cups & spoons
Skillet with heavy bottom
Heat-safe rubber spatula, or flat edged metal spatula
Blender, processor or champion juicer
3/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon kappa carrageenan (or 1 teaspoon tapioca starch, kudzu starch, corn starch or flour to thicken)
recommended option: 1 teaspoon raw almond butter
1/2 block (~1 cup) medium-texture tofu or 1 box silken tofu
dash of vanilla extract to taste
sweetener of choice, like raw sugar (or neutral flavored natural syrup), to taste
recommended option: a few drops almond extract to taste
2 frozen banana slices
dash of vanilla extract, to taste
recommended option: 1/2 cup frozen strawberry slices (or frozen fruit of choice)
recommended option: additional frozen fruit for garnish
- To make cream, blend milk ingredients water, oats, almond butter, with thickener kappa carrageenan, on high for 40 seconds, to make almond oat milk, with thickener (KC) dissolved.
2. Over very low heat, stir above KC almond-oat-milk, just until thickened.
3. Immediately blend tofu with warm thickened almond-oat-milk, until smooth.
4. Pour into storage container(s) and chill in refrigerator to set/thicken.
5. To make fronanas, blend frozen bananas, frozen strawberries and vanilla.
6. Immediately spoon fronanas into serving dishes (or freezer storage container).
7. Top with chilled cream, and garnish with more frozen fruit.