This year, the Fun Food Feed will be sharing our most loved whole-plant recipes, we’ve developed over the years. Each month, we will publish a favorite recipe.
This month’s featured recipe is for Carrot Dogs.
The carrot dog phenomenon is a delicious example of the power of seasoning. Many refined and unhealthful dish ingredients, for example animal products and oils, in hotdogs and nuggets, can be substituted with nourishing whole plants. The seasoning carries the dish.
Inactive Preparation Time: ~2-8 hours for marinating carrots
(Or skip the marination step, by cooking 2 minutes in an Instant Pot.)
Active Preparation Time: 5 minutes to peel carrots and mix marinade
Cooking Time: 10 minutes to grill carrots
Yield: 2 carrot dogs
2 Tablespoons tamari
2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon smoked salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 shakes/grinds black pepper
Optional: Sprouted whole grain hotdog buns
Optional: Favorite hotdog toppings: Mustard(s), kraut, pickles/relish, onions, avocado, tomato, lettuce, bean chili and queso, ketchup (controversial), barbecue sauce and hot sauce.
small bowl/jar for mixing marinade
fork for whisking marinade & determining carrot “doneness”
jar or bag for marination
- Cut carrots to hotdog length.
2. Peel carrots into hotdog shape.
3. Boil in water, until fork tender.
(Or cook in Instant Pot, in marinate, for 2 minutes, and skip steps 4 and 5.)
4. In bowl/jar, with fork, whisk together remaining ingredients.
5. Marinate cooked carrots in sealed container optimally overnight, or at least 2 hours.
6. Steam, or grill, optional buns.
6. Grill, or dry saute, carrot dogs, until heated through.
Optional: Baste dogs with marinade as they cook.
Using a charcoal, gas or electric grill, will create attractive grill marks.
7. Serve on hotdog bun, with favorite toppings.
Or simply enjoy them on their own!