This year, the Fun Food Feed will be sharing our most loved whole-plant recipes, we’ve developed over the years. Each month, we will publish a favorite recipe.
This month’s featured recipe is for Berry Buckwheat Pancakes.
Berry Buckwheat Pancakes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1-3 pancakes
Measuring cups and spoons
Large non-stick skillet
1 cup berries (fresh or frozen)
Optional: several additional berries for inside pancakes and for garnish
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
scant 1/4 tsp baking powder
scant 1/8 tsp baking soda
1/16 tsp salt
~1/4 cup water, until pancake batter consistency
Optional: favorite pancake toppings, like unsweetened plain plant-yogurt or pecans
- In bowl, coarsely half mash berries.
- In small pot, simmer half mashed berries, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until reduced and thickened.
- In bowl, mix simmered berries to raw berries to create berry sauce.
- In second bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add water to flour mixture to create pancake batter. Fold in optional additional berries, if desired.
- Heat non-stick skillet, over low heat, until water skips across its surface, indicating it is hot.
- Pour pancake batter into preheated skillet. One can create one large pancake or several “silver dollar” pancakes.
- When bubbles appear of the surface of the pancake(s), and the top starts to appear dry, flip the pancake(s).
- Cook pancakes on second side, just until set, springing back to the gentle touch. (Do not press on pancakes with spatula.)
- Serve with warm berry sauce, and optional plant yogurt and pecans.